Last week I finished the Poinsettia Quilt, and I’m really happy with the result. It’s 60″ square, with a bazillion 4″ curved patches. The design is by Anne at Springleaf Studios, and she did it as a Christmas Quilt-Along in 2015. I love her fabrics, but I used what I had.
This is similar to my Spring Violets quilt from 2014. It’s a Drunkard’s Path variation. A regular Drunkard’s Path is easier to piece because the “legs” aren’t so exacting. “Beach Drunk” is a good example of a regular one.
I used Superior Threads’ Fantastico in red and green to quilt the flowers and leaves, and Bottom Line in light green for the background and bottom thread.
The back is a wonderful green and white leaf print that I though was perfect. So did Yuri.
This is for sale in my Etsy Shop.
And a nice scrappy binding!
Hope you are finishing something.
A finish! A post about Layer Cake Explosion in a few days.
And… a large amount of fabric came in. It’s for a commissioned quilt, and I wish I could say that it will all go out again soon, but there will be lots left over that I will need to put to use. So.
This week: + 16.5 yard, – 12.5 yards
This year: + 81.75 yards, – 104.75 yards
added in 2017: 13.00 yards
So, net destashing needs work, but I have used more than a hundred yards of fabric this year.
- Make back for Layer Cake Explosion. Yes! And I quilted it! A post soon.
- Make donation blocks for Kat’s September/October block drive. Yes, I made eighteen.
- Continue with Pacific Stars Mystery Quilt. No, I skipped this.
- Customer quilt commission? (in the works) Not made, but I spent the time discussing, ordering, and washing the fabrics. Almost ready to sew.
I got on a roll after making the back for Layer Cake Explosion, and got it basted, quilted, and bound. This was a huge project (93″ square), so I don’t mind that I put off Pacific Stars. I’ll just be doing lots of work on that this month.
- Make last month’s Pacific Stars blocks.
- Make this month’s Pacific Stars blocks.
- Make commissioned flying geese quilt.
- Donate some quilts that are hanging around.
Good luck on all of your goals! Right now I’m feeling fortunate to have food, water, and power, and I hope you do, too.
You know all that progress I had been making on destashing? It went out the door this week. I guess it could have been worse, since I was shopping at the fabulous Fabric Shack. And they’ve just opened a new annex.. So I limited myself to these…17…yards.
I went for a few basics (the best prices on Kona solids), but also found the sale fabrics at the bottom of the photo for backs to a couple of current projects. They’ll all get used pretty soon. And I have half the year left to reduce my stash!
This week: + 17 yards, – 0 yards
This year: + 74.25 yards, – 79.25 yards
added in 2017: 5 yards
Here’s a photo for you, in case you have too much color in your life. Either it’s raining cats around here, or Yuri hopes he’s camouflaged while waiting for a chipmunk to come by.
Good luck on sewing up your stash!
Last week I got this project quilted and bound. Yes, I see the, uh, design decision, near the lower left corner. I mean, I see it now. I partially blame all of you, who looked at the top here and never mentioned the problem. (I’ve made sure to get lots of eyes on the pink and black one currently on my wall!) I’m not too upset. It gives it some character. Not all furrows are straight, after all.
As the commenters said, I like the green and the pops of purple. I used a shiny purple thread, Art Studio Colors by Superior, to quilt three wavy lines vertically and horizontally on each block. I had already stitched in the ditch with Bottom Line, which is mostly invisible, but gives it sufficient quilting.
I made this for donation and to lighten my string bins, and I think it will be loved.
We hope you’re finding time for finishes. I’m linking to Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts, and to WIPs Be Gone at A Quilting Reader’s Garden.
This post is brought to you by Yuri, who says every quilter needs an attractive paper weight. Actually, he had a strong belief last evening that it was time to feed the cats, and was hoping that if he sat on something important enough I would have to stop my work. Or that he could stare me into submission. I had already yelled him for trying to remove pins from my piecing. I did make him wait till I finished my block. So there.
No fabric bought, and I used 3 1/2 yards for the Geese baby quilt.
This week: + 0 yards, – 3.5 yards
This year: + 26.5 yards, – 45.75 yards
Net fabric destashed in 2015: 19.25 yards
Hope all of you are moving your stash in the right direction! I’m linking up to Patchwork Times.