This week I’ve been working away at quilting Handy Dandy. I’ve been using the walking foot to quilt in the ditch along all the gold diagonal sashing and the rows that go through the centers of all the blocks. Now I need to do the border sashing and baste the edges.
So, after a number of days (short amounts of time each day to spare my shoulders, etc.), it looks as though I’ve done nothing to it. But we know it’s all firmly anchored down and ready for whatever brilliant quilting I decide to do in the blocks, setting triangles and border. Just waiting for that brilliance to strike…
Our weather here has been wonderful, sunny and moderate, so I should make the most of it.
Not much sewing this week, but no new fabric, either.
I’ve been uninspired to see, but that’s when a simple project like donation blocks comes in handy. I pulled fabric one day, cut and tried out a block one day, cut the rest, sewed two, then three, and, finally chain-pieced the last four in record time. So I have a dozen blocks ready to ship off to Kat for her July/August block drive, using 2.25 yards of fabric. In the process, I also found about 2 yards to dispose of or donate.
This star isn’t very original, but it worked for me this time. They’re super easy, with very few points to match. Also, I have lots of 3.5″ scraps, so a 16-patch star worked well for me. (I see that they look really similar to the ones I made last year, but that was a different construction technique. I made these using sew-and-flip flying geese.)
Since it’s the beginning middle of July, I thought I’d report on my goals. Sheesh! Well, it’s been hot and humid here, we’ve been working on our house, and we hosted the 4th of July party, and helped entertain out-of-town guests, so those are my excuses.
Make back and binding for Handy Dandy. Yes. I had just enough of some bird fabric that’s been hanging around forever.