Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art

Leave a comment

Friday Finish: Softball Commission

2019-12-13 15.04.53

I enjoyed many parts of this quilt, but it was long and heavy to quilt, so it’s nice to have it finished.  (It’s an extra-long twin.)


2019-12-13 15.05.222019-12-13 15.05.31

I’ve made several baseball quilts before, but I hadn’t thought about how *bright* softball fabric is, and how few choices there are compared to baseball.  Add to that the red of the Louisville Cardinals, and it’s a nice, bright quilt, but I think it will fun in a dorm room.


2019-12-13 15.05.04

The quilting is pretty subtle, but there’s a lot of it, and it provides a lot of texture.  Lots of feathers!

2019-12-13 15.05.45

Go Cardinals!

And go, you, with the rest of your December sewing projects!


November / December Goals

I’m only about a week late with this, but you know how it is. Busy, busy time of year. I hope all of you are enjoying the season and not making yourselves too crazy. I’m not sewing any gifts this year, so that pressure is off.

I did a fair job on my November goals. I had a commission throw quilt that took a chunk of time, but that’s done now.

November Goals:

  1. Design, communicate, and order fabrics for Louisville commission quilt. Yes!
  2. Piece top for Louisville. Yes!
  3. Quilt and bind Louisville. In progress.
  4. Pull fabrics, begin cutting for Charlotte’s new mystery. I have chosen my two background fabrics, so that’s a start.
  5. Work on Handy Dandy. Nope.

Bonus: Had a commission for a copy of this Christmas quilt, ordered fabric, made it, and sent it off to Germany. Fingers crossed it arrived!

December Goals:

  1. Finish the Louisville quilt.
  2. Make blocks for Kat’s Nov/Dec Covered in Love drive.
  3. Pull fabric and begin cutting for Charlotte’s Scrap Fantasy Medallion.
  4. Finish Handy Dandy???

I love that time after Christmas when everything is finished and there’s time for sewing. I wish you some of that!


Design Wall… Tuesday

All the blocks are finished for the Louisville card trick quilt. All the little units took a while to make, but once they were done the blocks came together quickly.

Now for two borders!

Leave a comment

Sunday Stash Report: 11/24/19

Back in the black! Yes, I did buy this piece of leaf fabric, after looking at it on Etsy for a couple months. It’s not for any particular project, I just really like it.

The commissioned Cardinal Christmas Quilt used 6.75 yards.

This week: + .5 yards, – 6.75 yards

This year: + 90.5 yards, – 95.75 yards

Net destashed added in 2019: 5.25 yards

Keep using your stash, and have a Happy Thanksgiving, my US friends.

1 Comment

Sunday Stash Report: 11/17/19

The fabric’s been flowing in here for the two commissioned quilts I’m making. 6.5 yards came in.

Lots of sewing is happening, but no finishes yet.

This week: + 6.5 yards, – 0 yards

This year: + 90 yards, – 89 yards

Net destashed added in 2019: 1 yard

Yes, it’s back in the red, but we’re working as hard as we can here!

I hope you’re getting a chance to sew.

Leave a comment

Sunday Stash Report: 11/10/19

I’m still pecking away on this, and ready to begin a couple of commissions, so I have no fabric usage to report.

Meanwhile, the fabric is rolling in for the commissions.

This week: + 9 yards, – 0 yards

This year: + 83.5 yards, – 89 yards

Net destashed added in 2019: 5.5 yards

Have a great week!


Sunday Stash Report: 10/20/19

The String Ornaments quilt used a nice chunk of fabric, including some real scraps, and no new fabric came in.

This week: + 0 yards, – 7.75 yards

This year: + 74.5 yards, – 89 yards

Net destashed added in 2019: 14.5 yards

Making some progress!

Check out how Jaye’s been busting her scraps with these great blocks.

Keep using your stash!