2018 is hurtling to its end, isn’t it? I did pretty well on my December goals.
- Finish Secret Christmas project. Yes! I made two tote bags (the Picnic Tote by SewCanShe).
- Sew two more Christmas gifts. Yes! I made two sets of bowl cozies as gifts.
- Make donation blocks for Kat’s Covered in Love. Yes! I think the final count was sixteen blocks! I used four yards of fabric from stash that I’ve had for way too long. And I’ve already mailed them to Kat.
- Pull fabrics and begin cutting for Charlotte Hawke’s mystery quilt. No. I’ve printed the cutting directions and chosen my background fabric, but I haven’t pulled scraps or done any cutting. I’ll have to do it in January.
Bonus: Made myself a set of bowl cozies, and a pillowcase for donation.
Here are those tote bags. The logos are from recycled t-shirts. I used the Picnic Tote pattern from SewCanShe. This is a very easy and clear pattern with few pieces and it goes together quickly. I really recommend it for beginners (as I was on sewing bags).
It doesn’t have a zipper or any hardware. Of course, I had to make some changes. I used cotton webbing for the straps, which I’m very happy with.
I added a key clip sewn by a ribbon to the inside pocket seam. I added an extra inside pocket and sewed a dividing line down its center. It would also be easy to add an outside pocket, but I decided against it.
I’m working on a post for the whole year which should be up soon. Take care!
Probably these will be my last finishes of the year. The bowl cozies are for me, and the pillowcase is for donation. I discovered Halloween fabric beneath the Martha Negley fabric I used for the cozies. I don’t know why I have it, but it will be gone after a few more pillowcases. I was glad to find that I’m not the only one with mysterious little piles of fabric hiding around.
This week: + 0 yards, – 1.5 yards
This year: + 81.25 yards, – 132.25 yards
added in 2018: 51 yards
So there’s my goal of 50 yards even if I don’t finish anything else before the end of the year. That makes 500 yards out of my stash in the last seven years!
Have a great holiday until I see you again!
Superior Threads is having a big sale right now… just letting you know.
This week I only got to the sewing machine a few times, but I made some more blocks for Kat’s Covered in Love, using two more yards.
An added benefit is that these were some ugly duckling fabrics I got out of my stash, too. Kat’s color scheme this month is violets, blues, and grays.
This week: + 0 yards, – 2 yards
This year: + 81.25 yards, – 130.75 yards
added in 2018: 49.5 yards
Oh, so close! Yuri says we can do it!
This week I finished a Christmas gift and some of the donation blocks, using 2.5 yards.
This week: + 0 yards, – 2.5 yards
This year: + 81.25 yards, – 128.75 yards
added in 2018: 47.5 yards
So close! Keep on destashing!
It’s that time of year when I can’t show most of what I’m sewing, so you’ll have to take my word that I’m making progress. And I am! Here are those donation quilt blocks.
- Finish cardinal Christmas quilt. Yes! Here.
- Secret Christmas project. Partially. I finished one, and have one more to go.
- Make blocks for a donation quilt (probably log cabins). Yes, I’ve made 24 blocks.
Bonus: Made two hostess gifts.
I don’t usually sew much for Christmas, but I am making a few gifts this year. I’ll share them later. And I’m doing a few things for my enjoyment.
- Finish Secret Christmas project.
- Sew two more Christmas gifts.
- Make donation blocks for Kat’s Covered in Love.
- Pull fabrics and begin cutting for Charlotte Hawke’s mystery quilt.
Are you seeing this?
I’ve changed my blog’s address (I don’t know why, it seemed like a good idea at the time). WordPress claims that everything should transition seamlessly, but I can’t really tell. Would you all mind leaving me a comment to let me know if you’re receiving these posts in the way you are used to, and if you’ve had any trouble commenting? Or if you can’t comment for some reason, you can email me at valerie at rootcentral dot org or Tweet me at Scooquilt.
No new fabric!
I used 2.25 yards of quilting fabric in some gifts this week.
This week: + 0 yards, – 2.25 yards
This year: + 81.25 yards, – 126.25 yards
added in 2018: 45.0 yards
Keep on using that stash!