Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


Sunday Stash Report: 9/30/18

In the two weeks since my last report, I’ve completed a quilt completed a quilt using 7.5 yards of fabric.

Also in that time, I purchased 17.25 yards of fabric. Three are large pieces for backings, one is a good binding stripe, and the four greens are just stash enhancement, since I’ve found I’m very weak on greens.

This week: + 17.25 yards, – 7.5 yards

This year: + 80.75 yards, – 105 yards

Net destashed added in 2018: 24.25 yards

One thing to note is that I’ve passed 100 yards of fabric used for the year. My net usage fell, but I have a few projects in the works, so I’m not worried. I still hope to destash 50 yards by the end of the year.

And I sent this quilt from 2017 off to Quilts of Compassion to donate the someone in the Carolinas. I really loved the colors in this, but it didn’t fit in anywhere here. They won’t be transporting them there until late November, so you have lots of time send one if you wish.

Now go sew that stash!


Friday Finish: A Country Christmas

2018-09-26 12.40.48 (1)And here’s another of my “quilts from panels” series.  This fabric really struck me as fresh and wintery.  The panel and border are “Holiday Wishes” by Henry Glass.  The red and green are also Henry Glass fabrics, but from other collections.  And the gray is Kona.  It was 50″ x 65″ before washing.

2018-09-26 12.43.08 (1)And I love, love the unrelated glittery tree print (Robert Kaufman) that I found for the back.

All of the quilting is with white Bottom Line, except for the red and green on the border, which is Magnifico and Fantastico.

2018-09-23 14.30.38Each block has a large snowflake quilted on it, surrounded by strippling.  This was almost totally ineffective.  Next time I would use a very heavy thread/yarn to do a snowflake outline in couching or bobbin work.

2018-09-26 12.41.27 (1)The gray border turned out much better.

2018-09-26 12.42.49 (1)

I think it turned out to be very fun and festive.

2018-09-26 12.44.07 (1)

Look for this soon in my Etsy shop.

Leave a comment

Sunday Stash Report: 9/16/18

A big finish this week, so the numbers look good!

This week: + 0 yards, – 10.5 yards

This year: + 63.5 yards, – 97.5 yards

Net destashed added in 2018: 34 yards

It’s been hot here, but as soon as it cools off I hope to get to work one of the Christmas panel quilts.

Hope you’re staying safe from the weather, and finding time to use your stash.


Friday Finish: So Many Stars

2018-09-13 15.58.14“Summer Stars on Fawn Lake”, the mystery quilt designed by Charlotte Hawkes, is finally finished!  We started cutting for this last November, began piecing it in the new year, and finished up assembling the top in May.

2018-09-13 15.58.26I made the smaller version (3″ stars!) that finished at 79 x 88″ with the borders.  This is the first one of these where I used a dark background.  I had a lot of dark batik scraps from a space quilt I made a long time ago.  I bought a little more to make enough, and the “feathery” batik for the borders and backing.  The rest was scraps, especially bright, multi-color and juvenile scraps.

2018-09-13 15.58.37This is quilted with black Bottom Line on the bottom, and black and purple Bottom Line and purple Art Studio Colors on the top.  The effect is pretty subtle, but it can be seen up close.  I needed a thread that would blend well with the dark batik, but not be too dark on the bright fabrics.  So purple was my neutral.

2018-09-13 16.01.01

2018-09-13 16.02.05

Can’t wait to see what Charlotte has up her sleeve for next year!

I’m linking up to Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.

1 Comment

WIP Wednesday: Quilting Summer Stars

The holiday weekend wasn’t quite the Sew-in that I had imagined. Among other things, a wire in our well pump broke and we were without water for two days.

Of course, my sewing machine still worked, so I did some sewing, but not as much as I had hoped. This is Superior’s Art Studio thread in a nice purple.

So I continued it into yesterday and got some detail quilting done, and today I made this binding.

I hope you’re making lots of progress on your projects!