Last week I finished the Poinsettia Quilt, and I’m really happy with the result. It’s 60″ square, with a bazillion 4″ curved patches. The design is by Anne at Springleaf Studios, and she did it as a Christmas Quilt-Along in 2015. I love her fabrics, but I used what I had.
This is similar to my Spring Violets quilt from 2014. It’s a Drunkard’s Path variation. A regular Drunkard’s Path is easier to piece because the “legs” aren’t so exacting. “Beach Drunk” is a good example of a regular one.
I used Superior Threads’ Fantastico in red and green to quilt the flowers and leaves, and Bottom Line in light green for the background and bottom thread.
The back is a wonderful green and white leaf print that I though was perfect. So did Yuri.
This is for sale in my Etsy Shop.
And a nice scrappy binding!
Hope you are finishing something.
Yuri and I are here to show you the finished Baseball Quilt. This is for a sick friend who may need a little extra hug to get through till pitchers and catchers report.
The back has a Mets theme, if you can’t see it.
The big 8″ Drunkard’s Path blocks (I made templates from a cereal box!) went together very quickly. Then came the quilting. I used dark gray Bottom Line on the top and bottom for most of it. I stitched in the ditch between all the blocks first, mostly to make sure the baseballs were anchored down. Then I stippled all the background pieces, and outlined the baseballs. Finally, I used one of my machine’s decorative stitches (Bernina #23) with red 30 wt. thread to make the stitching lines. I had to stitch each line twice, once normally, then once in the mirror image. They’re not as even as I would like, but I think they work.
And here’s Yuri to demonstrate the resulting snugglebility of the finished quilt.
Thanks for stopping by!
I’m entering “Spring Violets” in the Home Machine Quilted category of this spring’s Blogger’s Quilt Festival over at Amy’s Creative Side. This quilt measures 66″ x 84″. The batting is Warm and White. And, yes, that’s Yuri helping out.
I started this quilt as a stash buster, possibly for donation. I had a lot of purples and greens that I wanted to use up, and I thought of a favorite block of mine, Windflower, which is a variation of Drunkard’s Path.
The flower centers are done with “Rainbows” by Superior Threads. All the other stitching is with “Bottom Line”, also Superior. The violets are quilted with “pebbles” and outlines. I used three different background fillers in the green backgrounds around the flowers. The borders have rings that mimic the “coffee rings” on the batik.
It ended up as a meticulous, lengthy project, especially the quilting, and I’m now too attached to it to part with it. It makes me happy.
See all the entries at the Blogger’s Quilt Festival at Amy’s Creative Side. Voting begins May 22!