Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


1 Comment

January/February Goals

PicMonkey Collage Jan 2018As usual, this January was a very productive month!  Cold weather kept me in and gave me lots of time to sew.

January Goals:

  1. Quilt and bind low-volume donation baby quilt (zebras).  Yes!
  2. Quilt and bind bright cat donation baby quilt.  Yes!
  3. Complete Clue 1 of Charlotte H’s Summer Stars at Fawn Lake.  Yes!
  4. Make string blocks for Kat’s Jan/Feb Covered in Love block drive.  Yes!

Bonus:  I also made two quilts for my Etsy shop, and another on commission.  I also appliqued cardinals to complete an old wall hanging.

 

February Goals:

  1. Complete Clue 2 of Charlotte H’s Summer Stars at Fawn Lake .
  2. Complete and mail current commission quilt.
  3. Quilt and bind Gold and Green Christmas Quilt .
  4. Sew up grocery bags from birdseed bags.

 

Let’s see how much I get done in February!

How are you doing?


1 Comment

Sunday Stash Report: 1/28/18

This week I finished this baby quilt.

And I bought five yards of fabric.

This week: + 5 yards, – 3.5 yards

This year: + 24.75 yards, – 21.75 yards

Net destashed added in 2018: 3 yards

I’ve wanted to make a houndstooth check quilt for a long time. I used this tutorial by Jenny at Missouri Star. It was very easy, but watch the pieced blocks. They’re all bias, so they’re very stretchy. When I sewed them to the plain blocks, I used pins, and sewed with the plain blocks on top to ease in any fullness. I’m very happy with the way it turned out. It in my Etsy shop.

I hope you’re getting some sewing time!


2 Comments

Spray Basting: The End of the Can!

Those of you without much other entertainment may be wondering how I’m doing with my can of spray baste that I opened last year. In this post, I argued that spray basting quilts was not expensive and emphasized using it with a light hand. I estimated at that time that I used two cans of June Tailor spray in a year of quiltmaking.

I was wrong. Today the can I opened on February 5, 2017 sputtered out in the middle of a baby quilt. The one can lasted very close to a year. It basted three queen quilts, one twin, six throws, and nine and a half baby quilts. (Not bad for a can I’m sure I bought with a half-price coupon.) This was the 9.95 oz. can.

So now you know. Maybe you’ll take me seriously when I say I baste my quilts lightly!


4 Comments

Design Wall Monday

And another one! It never rains but it pours, and I have another commission. This little Jedi will get rose colored applique.


2 Comments

Sunday Stash Report: 1/21/18

Terrible weather during the past week, so lots of sewing got done!  And no new fabric. Yet.

2018-01-18 09.34.11This baby quilt was inspired by some of the fabric I got on sale after Christmas.  The two fabrics are not related, but I thought they belonged together.

2018-01-18 09.34.50Find this in my Etsy shop.

2018-01-21 14.44.52This quilt looks familiar, but I just finished it as a custom order.  This makes # 12 of my elephant/Star Wars baby quilts using this design.

So that’s seven yards used this week.

This week:  + 0 yards,  – 7 yards

This year:  + 19.75 yards,  – 18.25 yards

Net destashed added in 2018:  1.5 yards

 

Almost breaking even!  Good luck on your destashing!


5 Comments

Design Wall Monday: Cardinals

Instead of a quilt top on my wall today, I have a “finished” quilt from 2007.  I liked the birch fabric and the interesting ways I added sparkle to the snowflakes, but it was never right.  Up close, the printed cardinals are colorful and interesting, but they don’t show up from any distance away.  At some point I added the red buttons.  Yesterday and today I added three applique cardinals.

This is a paper pieced pattern from Debby Krativil, but I used it for applique.  I changed the tail on one of them.  I satin stitched them to the quilt using a Sulky gray metallic thread to continue the glittery theme.

What do think, is this finally finished?  I’m pretty happy with it.


3 Comments

Sunday Stash Report: 1/14/18


My finishes this week were eighteen of these lovelies for Kat’s Jan/Feb block drive.  Still loads of time if you want to lighten your string bin(s)!  I’m always amazed by how much better they look when they’re trimmed up.  They’ve been packaged, addressed, and are in the riding-around-in-my-car stage of reaching Kat.

And, no new fabric was purchased.

 This week:  + 0 yards,  – 4 yards

This year:  + 19.75 yards,  – 11.25 yards

Net destashed added in 2018:  8.5 yards

I’ll get there!  The other sewing I did was the first clue to Summer Stars at Fawn Lake.  Again, still time to join us in this mystery quilt.

Good luck using your stash!