All this snow makes for pretty pictures, but it’s hard to get the exposure right for quilts.
This quilt started with the Baby Yoda fabric. It looks cute enough, but it was difficult to put other fabric with it. I didn’t want a really dark baby quilt, so I kept trying to use lighter fabric. As you saw, the mustard didn’t work.
I settled on these blues and grays, and lightened it up with some improv stars. I’m happy with the result.
I love the fabrics in this quilt so much! That starry sky/space! This was really fun to sew. (My only complaint is that that Robert Kauffman space fabric is only 40″ wide. I don’t like this trend.)
The star panel was the only part that used “old” stash, but every bit of it came from my 3.5″ scrap bin, and the colors are wonderful. I’m using this idea on one of the next ones.
I quilted it with vertical lines, ranging from a half to one and a half inches apart. The thread is Superior’s Rainbows in Lilac Bouquet (40 wt.). It’s very light compared to the dark fabrics, and I had some misgivings as I quilted it, but I like it now. I think it lightens the dark strip a bit and lends some movement to the stars.
I found myself working away on this quilt on May the Fourth, so I guess the Force is strong with this one!
Pro Tip: Make sure you’re using you 1/4″ foot while you are piecing. I made all these geese using my open-toe #20 foot, left on from binding the last quilt. Apparently it sews a 3/8 or 5/16″ seam… Made them too small. Thank goodness the whole top wasn’t full of piecing!
I’m much happier with the quilting on this one. It’s rays extending in different directions, and it seems to be enough.