Late last week I finished up my baby-sized string quilt. Then one day I dashed out between the snow and the sleet to take a few pictures.
The blocks are 9 inches, pieced on paper. The sherbet colors are all strings from my bins, but the cream floral was yardage. It was a good use for an older piece of fabric, and I had just enough.
This was inspired by the batik backing I had left over from Disappearing Pinwheels.
I stitched between all the blocks with the walking foot. Then I flipped it over and quilted all the dragonflies, using white Sulky rayon in the bobbin. (Well, I skipped the side-view dragonflies, because I found they didn’t look like anything identifiable from the front.) The Sulky isn’t very heavy, so the design on the front is subtle, but I like it that way. It’s there if you look for it.
I used a green with a variegated stripe for the binding. No new techniques this time, except for a different layout for the string blocks.
Hope you are enjoying the satisfaction of finishing things this week.
I’m linking up with TGIFF and Whoop Whoop Friday. (Please DO NOT go over to Confessions of a Fabric Addict, because *I* want to win her great giveaway!)
March 28, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Love your strip quilt… the colors speak to me!
March 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM
Nice finish! I like the back side a well. Well done!
March 28, 2014 at 8:49 PM
How wonderful it looks, it’s a great layout for a string quilt!
March 28, 2014 at 9:01 PM
lovely little quilt 🙂 the backing fabric is fantastic!
March 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM
I had to stop by and see your chevron. I like the idea of using the strips!! Your back is a perfect accent to the colors on the front.
March 28, 2014 at 11:58 PM
I love string quilts. Your backing fabric is perfect!!
March 29, 2014 at 12:33 AM
What a great quilt and love how you quilted it!
March 29, 2014 at 4:25 AM
Very nice colours.
Pingback: Sunday Stash Report and Goal Check: 3/30/14 | Evening in the Garden Quilts