This is the finished Christmas version of Scrappy 4 Patch Stars, Charlotte Hawkes’ 2021 mystery quilt. It finished at 63″ square. I was inspired to do this version after seeing one by Lorraine on the Facebook group.
I quilted it all over with Superior’s Magnifico, 40 wt., shiny poly thread.
I made this quilt using some “Remix” lollies fabric by Jen Kingwell for Moda.
I know this isn’t the way most people use a lollie, but I wanted to include the black and white dividing lines and to make the colors very random. The randomness didn’t really work out- there’s a lot of gold in this! I’ll cut it differently when I use the rest.
This week I finished this Christmas throw. It’s 49 x 62″.
These stars gave me a few fits. Is it the Tri-Rex (Recks?) rulers that I need for them? Whatever it is, I don’t have it.
Also, it was hard to coordinate the blues from my random selection of snowy fabrics. At first I used a dark dusty blue to frame the scenes. I really liked the fabric (and am sad it’s reduced to scraps), but it wasn’t right. The light blue I used instead actually has bits of lavender in it, but, strangely, it worked better.
It didn’t seem to matter how green or purple the blues were, but whether they glowed, like the scenes.
Yuri’s favorite part is the winter scene on the back.
Here’s that finished Rainbow quilt, made from WoF strips appliqued to the background. The rainbow wanted to be round, so it is. I’m sure I’ll make another version of this. The rainbow is textured from the stretching, but in a nice way.
This week: + 0 yards, – 3.25 yards
This year: + 61.25 yards, – 84.5 yards
Total destashed / added in 2020: 23.25 yards
This quilt (but not Yuri!) will be for sale in my Etsy shop.
I love the fabrics in this quilt so much! That starry sky/space! This was really fun to sew. (My only complaint is that that Robert Kauffman space fabric is only 40″ wide. I don’t like this trend.)
The star panel was the only part that used “old” stash, but every bit of it came from my 3.5″ scrap bin, and the colors are wonderful. I’m using this idea on one of the next ones.
I quilted it with vertical lines, ranging from a half to one and a half inches apart. The thread is Superior’s Rainbows in Lilac Bouquet (40 wt.). It’s very light compared to the dark fabrics, and I had some misgivings as I quilted it, but I like it now. I think it lightens the dark strip a bit and lends some movement to the stars.