A long time ago… no, I won’t go there. But this is the saga of the baby quilt commission that occupied a lot of August for me.
The order was fine. It took a number of emails back and forth to work out the design and fabrics, but that was no problem. Neither was the construction. I had made the basic design three times before, so all went well. Then I washed it.
I always prewash my fabrics, with Color Catchers. I always wash the finished quilts with Color Catchers. I so seldom have a bleed… I checked the front to be sure that all my Crayola Washable markings had come out. I forgot to check the back, and I dried it. Big mistake.
I tried Shout and two different approaches with Oxi Clean. I never made it to the blue Dawn, because the Oxi took all the color out of my silver light saber. Sigh. I’m ready to do the bleach-on-a-Qtip thing before donating it, but I’m just leaving it sit for a while. Sigh.
So, I remade it with different blue fabric, different silvery fabric, and no blue ink jet ink on the applique sheet. Whatever it was, it didn’t happen this time. And the finished quilt has reached it’s destination. Whew.
I will say that my quilting improved on this last one (#5 of this design!). And I like how the trimmings of the chevron backing fabric made a striped binding.
September 2, 2015 at 6:55 PM
It’s such a cute baby quilt Valerie! You can never go wrong with Star Wars 😉 Sorry about the mishap on the first one!
Pingback: Sunday Stash Report: 6/26/16 | Evening in the Garden Quilts