I didn’t do very well the first few days of March, but since then I’ve gotten serious about getting in my fifteen minutes of sewing every day, and often more.
First I finished the six grocery bags made from birdseed bags.
Jaye asked how I made these. Over the years, I’ve done it several different ways, sometimes piecing the bags to get a certain size and adding lots of pockets and detail. For these I kept it very simple. I used an old rotary cutter to trim off the top and bottom of each bag, then I sewed a quarter inch from the lower edge, right side out. I turned the bag inside out, and sewed the bottom again (French seam) for strength. Then I sewed across each corner to create a flat bottom.
Then I turned down a “hem” on the top and zigzaged it, catching the denim handles. Finally, I turned the handles up and zigzaged them again for security.
Next, I made a dozen donation blocks for Kat’s March /April block drive for Covered in Love. I had never made the Hunters Star block, and it took me a while to get my brain around it, but after twelve I’m a pro.
Now I’m working on setting these leader-and-enders blocks with ombre fabric. I cut the borders first, then turned the fabric to cut the sashing from the various shades of green. Wish my design wall were bigger!
Hope you’re making lots of progress!
March 7, 2018 at 7:39 PM
I am still not quite sure about the handles, but your system must work! Great reuse idea. You should send a picture to the company.
I knew you’d become a pro at the Hunter’s Star blocks! The one you showed looked great and your output is fabulous.