First, the evidence (sort of in order, but not perfectly) that I did accomplish some things this year:
So, a lot more than it felt like! I felt like I was swimming upstream most of the year, but it’s nice to see it all laid out like this.
It was a year of new hair and new knees, and the loss of two family members. Sometimes it was all I could do to keep up with the house and garden, let alone sewing. It was a year when I really appreciated the blogging community, and the Twilters (Facebook and Twitter), and Twitter in general. It was a …memorable… election year. We’ll get through this together. And we’ll sew a lot.
- Revamp fireplace screen cover. Yes! Not including a picture because it looks much the same, but it is much improved, fits better, has much more quilting.
- Work on Scrappy Stars Around the Corner. No. I did not get to this.
- Make donation pillow cases. Yes! I made twelve.
- Make December blocks for Kat (?) Yes! Well, no, I didn’t need to make any, because it turned out that it was a Nov./Dec. challenge, and I had sent mine in November.
- Pull scraps for Charlotte’s new mystery quilt. No, but I decided on my background color, a raspberry solid.
Bonus: I made two Maple Leaf quilts for donation.
- I will complete the large UFO quilt under my cutting table. It reminds me constantly that I abandoned it, so it takes up mental space. It also hogs most of the space under my cutting table, and is visual clutter in the room. First, I need to spread it out and come up with a better quilting plan than I had before. Then I need to mark, baste, and trim the batting on the back for faux trapunto. Then I can quilt it, etc. No, I did not do this. I just wasn’t feeling it. I did get an idea about cutting it down, since I hate how large it turned out.
- I will give my studio a good cleaning. It needs dusting, a little scrubbing, and the elimination of lots of extra stuff that has accumulated there. I also need to donate pillow cases and the baby quilts that haven’t sold. Yes! I did all those things. And hung a picture.
- I want to try to take another fifty yards out of my stash. This won’t be easy, because in the past four years I’ve gotten rid of 350 yards. There’s still some
uglyless appealing fabric that I want to use up and partially replace with fresh stuff. One area that I can reduce is the scraps. I will continue to use them for quilts and donation blocks. I’m cutting soon for this year’s Scrapitude quilt, and Alycia and Kat have monthly blog drives for scrap blocks for good causes (Kat is taking January off). Yes! I just barely made it, but I did. And that’s without finishing Scrappy Stars Around the Corner!
A pretty good month and a pretty good year, sewing-wise. In the next few days I’ll decide on goals for 2017 and post them here. It really does help organize things for me and helps me remember them!
I’ve enjoyed reading your year-end posts. Happy New Year to all of you! Stay safe and healthy! See you next year!
December 31, 2016 at 8:58 PM
So proud of you for getting so much done!! Quite impressive. Me – well I didn’t get so much done, but I have every intention of doing better next year. I’ve got several tops to sandwich and quilt and a queen Log Cabin to finish. I got the ruler foot and rulers for quilting on my DSM so am excited about working with them. In the next couple of days I will organize a project list and get to it.
January 1, 2017 at 1:20 PM
I’m sorry for your losses, Valerie. You accomplished a lot. May you be a fruitful in the New Year.