Last fall, Sandy‘s friend, Charlotte, started a mystery quilt named Scrapitude with their guild. Sandy asked to post the steps on her blog, and the rest is history. Her readers and many of us on Twitter (#Twilters) grabbed our scraps and got started cutting. This was my first mystery quilt, so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I knew that Charlotte does beautiful work with scraps. I had trouble letting go of control of colors, and I didn’t completely, but this is the scrappiest thing I’ve made. And it turned out pretty well.
I started with these.
They looked like this all cut up. I decided to use several shell pinks for the background pieces.
From those pieces we made these blocks.
And now I have this quilt (80″ square). Yes, it’s very pink. I think the colors work really well together, but I hadn’t realized it would be quite so …pink. It is cheery and fun to look at, with all the different fabrics. It will live in my guest room, so people will get it in small doses.
I stitched the stars in the ditch, with an orange peel in the centers, using an “old rose” colored Bottom Line thread. I quilted the whole pink background with an unmarked orange peel motif in pale pink. I had a lot of fun with that part, and I really like the texture.
The back is shell pink and olive batik.
It was lots of fun to sew these with everyone else, but the best part is seeing how differently they are all turning out. Keep checking this Flickr group to see the progress.
I’m linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.