Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art


4 Comments

Progress on Scrapitude

IMG_1935

I found a few hours on Monday and Tuesday to get caught up on Step 4 (parts 1 and 2) of the Scrapitude Mystery Quilt that many of us are doing through Sandy’s blog, Quilting for the Rest of Us.  It went together very quickly and very neatly.  Occasionally, I had difficulty turning patches correctly, but that was my own perceptual problem.  I quickly learned to check before I sewed!  I am pretty happy with the way this is turning out.  It is very scrappy.  I wish I had used more variety in the largest triangles, but I think it will be fine.  This is my first mystery quilt, and the scrappiest thing I’ve done so far.

IMG_1936

I’m linking up with WIP Wednesday and Scraptitude Linky Party.


Leave a comment

Work in Progress…Thursday

Well, I missed the linkup, but I’ll put this out here anyway for those of you who follow.

I have finished the stitch-in-the-ditch stabilizing quilting between all the blocks on the Brights quilt, which means it looks like nothing at all has been done to it.  One tip I remembered as I did this was to stitch in the same direction on both sides of each row of sashing , so that it wouldn’t distort.  You can probably guess how I learned this…

Bright Strings arrows

Today I’m on to quilting the sashing, probably with wavy lines using the walking foot, and then fmq-ing the blocks and borders with paisley designs.

 

Meanwhile those enablers quilters on Twitter, known as the #Twilters, have drummed up a new quilting bee.

PinwheelsWe’re all going to make our own versions of the Missouri Star Quilt Co.’s “Disappearing Pinwheel”

quilt.  Find the links to the tutorials on Gretchen’s blog, 120 Blocks.  We’re going to work on these

during our Martin Luther King Day Sew-In ( #MLKSI ).  In typical #Twilter fashion, this is morphing into a whole weekend of fun and silliness, so check out the blogs and podcasts to see what’s going on.  Google Hangouts have been mentioned (still no success fixing my webcam…), and there will probably be a Flickr group, so you can participate even if you’re not a Twitter person.  I hope you’ll join us.

This is a perfect project to use with two layer cakes, but I don’t have any, so I dug into my stash.  I  came up with a great batch of large-scale florals and big dots/circles, and this peach blender to serve as my solid.  After editing for contrast, the dots failed to make the cut, but I’m excited about what I have.  I’ve starched, pressed, and cut my 60 10″ squares, and I’m ready to go on Monday.  Or sooner

if they talk me into it.

 

And the new step has been released for Scrapitude, so I’ll be plenty busy.

 

Hope you’re make progress on something.


2 Comments

WIP Wednesday: Triangles

wpid-8253389546_fdb631e427_o.jpg

2013-11-19 19.46.00

This week I’ve been playing with HSTs in grays and aqua through turquoise.  I’m trying to do something interesting with the color transition, but I don’t know if I have.   I sewed half of them together wrong, so I had to rip apart my nice, pressed open, unstretched blocks and sew them back together, probably all stretched out.

2013-11-19 19.46.15

So it’s coming.  Slowly.

IMG_00000290_edit

Also, I completed Step 3 in the Scrapitude Mystery Quilt at Quilting for the Rest of Us.  Each of these steps is pretty quick, and we’re skipping December, so you could certainly catch up if you want to join us.

 

What are you working on?

I’m linking up to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.


2 Comments

Fall Wall Hangings Finished

image

Both of these hangings are finished.  And they will look square when I sew down the hanging sleeves and press them a little.  These string blocks were fun to do.  The blocks were 6 1/2″,  and the quilt finished at 24″ square.  So much fun to quilt small projects!  All the fun and none of the bulk dragging on your shoulders!

image

I practiced swirls in the “sky”, and did a leafy vine in the border.

image

The feathers in the leaf at harder to see.  I like them, but I should have added an extra layer of batting in that area to make them pop.  I’m still happy with it.

image

The Fall Cabins wall hanging turned out very well, too.  It’s 32″ x 40″.  Someday I’d like to make a larger quilt like this.

image

Remember the plan on EQ7? Occasionally, I scan in fabrics and do a care full design. Usually, I just do it this way, to get a rough idea of the values and any secondary designs, and to check the math.

2013-09-13 10.08.10

I quilted straight diagonal lines in brown Bottom Line through the dark areas, and used yellow Sulky for feathers through the lighter areas.

Now I’m at work on a couple of things, including the Scrapitude Mystery Quilt that Sandy is sharing with us on Quilting for the Rest of Us.  It just started, many people haven’t cut their scraps yet, so you can certainly join in.  Several of us on Twitter are doing it, #scrapitude.  Great stash buster!

Can’t wait to see what you finished!

I’m linking up with Finish it up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts.