Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art

1 Comment

Sunday Stash Report: 9/06/15


Got a couple of things finished this week, and no new fabric came in!  I used three and a half yards for this baby quilt (currently in the dryer, more pictures later), and about half a yard for the PEI wall quilt.


This week:  + 0 yards,  – 4 yards
This year:  + 91.75 yards,  – 123.25 yards
Net fabric destashed  in 2015:  31.5 yards

So, creeping along toward my goal of 50 yards for this year.  How are you doing?

I’m linking up to Judy’s report at Patchwork Times.


Prince Edward Island Art Quilt

IMG_2441Early this week I finished the little art quilt I’ve been thinking about for a long time, and working on sporadically for the last few months.  This was taken from a photo I took of traps (lobster?  crab?)  on P.E.I.  when we visited a few years ago.

QA1012I used a photo-transfer process from an article by Liz Kettle in Quilting Arts, Issue 48.  It involved making an ink jet print on water-soluble stabilizer (Paper Solvy by Sulky) and transfering it to the fabric (Kona Snow) using matte gel medium.

2015-07-26 10.30.17The process was messy and didn’t go flawlessly, as you can see in this picture.  It is forgiving, though, and I was able to straighten out and adhere most of the image, and to wash off the remaining paper.  Next time, I would apply medium to the fabric only, not the print.  For the bits that were missing, I worked back into it with fabric markers.  I have a print-making background, and was excited about the transfer process. I did find myself wondering what was the advantage of this method over simply printing on ink jet fabric.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

2015-08-27 16.01.23IMG_2442I used a number of variegated and solid threads to add dimension and definition, especially to the traps, which had gotten a little muddy.  I liked the random effect of the variegated So Fine from Superior.  I did not like that when I shaded in the side of a white float, it became flat from the close stitching.  I have a lot to learn about working with thread.

IMG_2444I’m very happy with the fabrics I found to use for the borders and the way I quilted them.  You can see it better from the back.

IMG_2440I think this was pretty successful.  It has some personal meaning to me, so I may keep it and make another version to sell.  We’ll see.

I’m linking up to WIPs Be Gone at A Quilting Reader’s Garden.