Evening in the Garden Quilts

Adventures in Fabric Art

Sunday Stash Report: 02/20/2020

There are birds singing this morning and the sun is shining, so that’s better!

No new fabric this week! And I used 2.75 yards on the very bright sloth quilt.

This week:  + 0 yards,   –  2.75 yards

This year:   + 15.25 yards,    – 20.0 yards

Total destashed / added in 2020:  4.75 yards

Go sew your stash!


January / February Goals

Yes, this has been a long, dreary, disheartening month, but there was a lot of time to sew!

January Goals:

  1. Cut fabric for Charlotte’s Scrap Fantasy Medallion. Yes, cut it all.
  2. Complete Clue #1 for Scrap Fantasy. Yes.
  3. Design a throw quilt to be made with chartreuse fabrics. Yes.
  4. Begin making blocks for the chartreuse quilt. Yes, and quilted and bound it. Here.
  5. Donate pillowcases and baby quilts. No. They’re bagged up and ready to go, but haven’t taken them yet.

Bonus: Pillow covers to match the Chartreuse and White quilt, Sloth Baby Quilt (gray and white version), andSloth Baby Quilt #2.

February promises to start out dreary, too, so we might as well sew!

February Goals:

  1. Donate pillowcases and baby quilts.
  2. Complete Clue 2 for Scrap Fantasy Medallion.
  3. Make string blocks for Kat’s Jan/Feb Covered in Love block drive.
  4. Make spring wall hangings for my shop.

Good luck on your goals!


Final Finish for January (Sloths #2)

This baby quilt will brighten your cloudy day! My sloth panel contained four images, facing in opposite directions because they were for making stuffed sloths. While I used all my restraint to keep Sloths #1 very low volume, I didn’t even try here!

The tree fabric is the same as the first one, and I love it. It’s a paisley batik left over from a quilt back (strangely, I can’t remember which one).

The plain background was perfect for quilted leaf shapes. The variegated Fantastico from Superior is subtle, but adds a nice sheen.

My favorite part is the vibrant backing. It’s been in my stash since 2014, and I finally found its destiny. I love large prints, but they don’t fit everywhere.

These little quilts turned out to be 33″ x 40″. You’ll find them in my Etsy shop soon.

And that’s all the sloths! Back to squares and triangles.


Hanging Around

2020-01-27 14.22.50

Last week I finished this sleepy little baby quilt.  I bought the sloths printed on a panel, and put them on my own (stash) background with a couple of branches from which they could hang.

2020-01-27 14.23.47

I didn’t want to use Steam a Seam under these very large pieces of applique.  Instead, I starched them heavily, and then used spray adhesive (baste) to hold them in place when they were dry.  It worked fine.  I did use Steam a Seam under the leaves, and they were harder to quilt through.  I think this is the first time I used my Leaves Galore ruler set to actually cut leaves!  Usually I’m just using it to trace curves or leaves for quilting.

2020-01-27 14.22.57

If the background looks very textured, it’s true.  The gray print is super busy, so I quilted lots of wavy horizontal lines on it.  It’s not exactly drapey, but it’s soft enough and feels great.

2020-01-27 14.23.59

2020-01-27 14.23.31

Find this in my shop soon.

And, I have extra sloths, so look for another version soon!


1 Comment

Sunday Stash Report

2020-01-26 10.57.29

Here’s 1.75 yards of new fabric to counter the winter weather.


2020-01-23 13.22.40

This week I finished the two pillow covers that match the Chartreuse and White quilt, using 1.5 yards of fabric.


2020-01-24 17.31.54

And I have finished this sloth quilt, using 2.75 yards.  Look for photos soon!


This week:  + 1.75 yards,   –  4.25 yards

This year:   + 15.25 yards,    – 17.25 yards

Total destashed / added in 2020:  2 yards


Using the stash, a little at a time!  Enjoy your sewing!