The wonderful thing about a patchwork quilt is that it is warm and cuddly, colorful, and full of interesting fabrics to examine, whether it has any great artistic or design qualities to it at all. I made this one to donate (along with it’s counterpart), and I’m confident that it will be loved.
I know it looks like a barn raising log cabin quilt from a distance. I think all the blocks are at least turned right. I used eyes from all over the world on this (the #Twilters), and still found one turned wrong when I was quilting. (No, it wasn’t the one of which we were suspicious, lower right corner. This was on the other side!) I took out the quilting, ripped out the block, sewed it back properly, and then resumed the quilting.
But up close… whoo, boy! Up close, everything runs together. At least the colors are pretty. I quilted feathers into the light areas using pale pink Bottom Line by Superior, and stippled the dark stripes with magenta Bottom Line. I really think that improved things, helping to unite the fabrics. The center designs are done in gray Sulky.
I admit I make string blocks when I want mindless sewing therapy, but I did think about the fabric placement on these. I just didn’t get it quite right.
Part of the problem is the large scale print fabric I have in my scraps. It’s very difficult to categorize as light or dark, and sometimes a particular section will be the lighter than the rest, or darker. And there was one print that I was determined to use, since I liked it and had a lot of it. I decided I would make it a “dark”. We know value is relative, depending on the surroundings. And, you know, from a distance, it does work. But not really up close. So I learned.
Yuri and I still like it and think that it will comfort someone. That’s success.
I’m linking up with WIPs Be Gone at A Quilting Reader’s Garden.