I’ve been sewing and sewing, but not reducing much stash. I don’t like to think I have very many UFOs, because I usually finish projects straight through, but I do have a few. I pulled out these 35 string blocks that are 6-9 months old. They were made with remnants of the Midwest Modern fabric I used in this quilt. I think I probably meant to sash them to make them large enough for a donation quilt of some sort. I tried them with cream, gold, and pink, the consensus on Twitter being the pink and yellow batik.
They were numbered, so I put them up on my design wall, and really liked the set without sashing, so I used the pink for borders. The blocks are so busy that I didn’t think intricate quilting would show up on them.
I stitched three wavey lines on alternate rows and columns. In the empty blocks, I put a free-hand rose with four leaves.
The borders, though, were ripe for feathers! They were a bit wide, so I did a scalloped border first. Then I marked a curvy spine and lower boundary for the feathers and had at it. I used a butterscotch-colored Living Colors thread from Superior, 40 wt, I think. I was in a great feather zone and had a lovely time working on them. Unfortunately, I also sewed feathers every time I closed my eyes that night. Ah, the price of great art.
The back is just barely pieced, and used the rest of the batik, plus a pink and yellow piece for which I was happy to find a home.
This ended up 52″ x 67″, which makes a nice throw, and I put it in my shop. I have no idea where Yuri was during these pictures, but I managed without him.
I hope you’re playing with fabric today.
September 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM
Very pretty. Love the soft colors and a great way to use up scraps.
September 25, 2013 at 9:56 PM
It’s so sweet and delicate. Congrats on gettin her done!
Pingback: Getting It Done in September and October | Evening in the Garden Quilts