This week I have two finishes, both sewn with thoughts of hope and peace for this troubled world in which we live. I’m very pleased with the way my Project Hope Online Quilt Show contribution turned out. We all know how hard it can be to translate a vision into fabric reality, but mine came very close. I puttered around and put it off, but now that it’s finally finished, I like it. See all the Project Hope quilts on Flickr.
On the day that I mentally committed to joining this project, the background fabric presented itself to me. I opened the door to my fabric closet, and out tumbled a little, beribboned pack of fat quarters that I could not remember seeing before. I mean, a sign is a sign, right?
Me: When were we in Grantsville, MD?
DH: Two years ago on the way to the Buffet concert. There was a bridge… We ate lunch there.
Me: And there was a quilt shop there?
DH: Yes! In an old school building.
So then, yes, I did finally remember Four Seasons Stitchery and the little bundle of batiks I bought there.
I sprayed bleach to create the ray of sunlight. Then I fused fabrics down to create the flowers, and use various threads to “paint” them. There is also a chalk pencil involved for some of the white shading. I quilted the sunbeam with iridescent Sulky mylar thread, the “Hope” with Sulky white rayon and the iridescent, and the background with Superior poly monofilament. The stamens are French knots.
Enjoy the binding on this piece, because I will probably never do it again. Fiddly!!
My flowers are charred and gray on the outside, but are opening in the ray of light to reveal their beautiful, hopeful interior. Nature is always renewing itself, in spite of setbacks. The binding is my reference to Jacquie’s work (Tall Grass Prairie Studio) here and here. Her work is graphic and cathartic, but not very hopeful to me (these particular pieces). So, my binding is blood red, but it does open to admit the sunlight.
I’m linking up with Finish It Up Friday on Crazy Mom Quilts.